воскресенье, 4 августа 2019 г.

Fate of the Passionate in Virgils Aeneid Essay -- Literature

Virgil’s The Aeneid, to this day, remains one of the most influential epics to ever grace the merciless limitations of manuscript, inspiring, in pop culture as well as literature, an onslaught of themes, mythology, values, and the general sense of what a hero must be-or do- in order to overcome the obstacles of the gods and man. Written somewhere between 29 and 19 BC, consisting of twelve books (although never completely finished), The Aeneid takes us through the turbulent journeys and prophesied triumphs of Aeneas, a warrior and man bound by piety and destiny. Like usual, in every great epic, there are many battles: heads gashed open and gore galore; however, to say that this master piece is just for men would be atrocious, considering that Venus, Aeneas’s mother (the goddess of hunt, extremely beautiful), plays a major role in the book from beginning to end, but, although women are portrayed as a symbol of strength (most of the time, at least), one cannot ignore the invocation to the muse at the very beginning: â€Å"I sing of arms and of the man† (3). Through the wars, travels, monsters, and grief that awaits our protagonist, I feel that the relationship between Aeneas and Dido, the queen of Carthage, holds special relevance in my life, for I have loved and lost as well, but one thing may surprise you, I have seen it through the eyes of Dido, not Aeneas. Fortunately, for me, I didn’t have to sacrifice myself, but I did learn to love, relish it, and then, sadly, let it go. Early in the beginning of the poem we see Aeneas, surrounded by blood thirsty Greeks, trying to save his family-fighting as well-and, after an apparition of Hector pleas with him to leave, eve... ...er allowing his life to interfere with his destiny, if indeed he truly believed in it, for judging by his master piece, I must simply believe that he, in all of his expert wisdom on battle and virtue, failed to understand the complications of love and passion. As a man who has lost much, constantly pondering the ambiguity of love, I cannot deny that the road to happiness is a long, uncertain path, but, just like my loss of companionship, I can’t help but to think what would have happened if Aeneas would have just forsaken his path and cradled Dido until the grave, yet one cannot deny the fate of passion, in all of its uncertainties and unseen truths. Works Cited Virgil. The Aeneid. London: Penguin, 1991.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий